Technology has significantly gone forward and various types of industries are using it to improve their workflows, productivity and efficiency. One of the industries in which collecting data is very important is eLearning.
This is precisely why a learning record store (LRS) is important.
It is known to all that LMS software tools are perfect for creating courses, organizing content and learning communities. But, what about the data concerning each student’s performance?
Well, this is the part where an LRS sweeps in and collects all the significant data, stores it and organizes it for future use. But, this only scratches the surface. So let’s take a look at what an LRS is and why you need one.
What is an LRS?
A Learning Record Store is a place in which all eLearning data is collected and processed for future reference. Since the eLearning industry has undergone technological advancement, the standard used for an LRS has changed over the years.
In 2001, the SCORM standard was created and it was responsible for the communication between LMS’ and eLearning modules. It was designed with a limited set of features as compared to what we have now. No one could predict where and how the Internet would grow which is why this system became outdated. It is important to note that a high number of organizations are still using it but new standards are surely conquering the industry.
All this has led to the creation of the xAPI, also known as the Tin Can API. An LRS uses this protocol that offers more features, integrates well with different platforms and provides better functionality. Let’s take a look at a couple of benefits that you get when choose a Tin Can API.
● Reliability – Tin Can is a new protocol which was created from the ground up. It relies on the advanced and modern protocols which offer compatibility with new platforms and systems. This ensures better workflow without any errors.
● Tracking – Tin Can is far more superior as it was designed for new eLearning standards. xAPI is created for the modern mobile world in which people prefer to learn while on the go.
● Enhanced data – Tin Can protocol is created to collect an abundance of data about student experiences. This allows the creation of detailed reports about every individual who’s attending the courses. Additionally, it is important to note that it works well with different types of LMS tools, which means that it can use additional information collected by the LMS and process it.
● Continuous updates – Tin Can API is continuously being updated to support new technological standards. There is a strong community of developers behind it which promises a bright future for this LRS protocol.
Now, let’s move on to how an LRS is different from an LMS.
Understanding the difference between an LMS and an LRS
These two systems are completely different as they have been created for different purposes.
An LMS serves the purpose of creating courses and organizing group communication, course materials, managing access to different course chapters and all the other course management tasks. It helps the teachers to create a course and make it easier for students to join a course and find all the valuable information in one place. Therefore, you can think of an LMS as front end software that simplifies the course organization process.
On the other hand, an LRS collects all data related to student behavior and various other processes that run in the background. Without it, teachers, business managers and business owners won’t be able to track their student’s progress.
By combining these two tools, you get a complete eLearning solution that will help both students and teachers. For example, a teacher can use LRS data to evaluate how good his or her course is, what parts of the course can be improved and how much progress the students are making. The students can learn more about their studying patterns and what they can do to improve them. Also, an LRS supports report creation which can be shared with anyone.
Even though these two are different systems, it is suggested to rely on an LMS tool that supports integration with an LRS tool as it will offer detailed information about the courses you are running.
Why do you need an LRS?
The answer to this question lies in the fact that an LRS is the best way to store eLearning data. By integrating this system, you are opening your doors to future analytics that can greatly help in various applications.
● Schools can improve their students’ performance and learn how to teach them in a more effective way.
● Businesses can acquire direct information about how many employees have finished the course and what are the problems they are struggling with.
● Independent teachers can detect flaws in their courses and work on them to create impeccable courses that will attract millions of students around the globe.
Analytics are important in all types of industries. This is the primary advantage you get when using an LRS, especially when you take into account that the xAPI is compatible with multiple LMS tools. Since it can improve your eLearning efforts, hence you should definitely have it in your arsenal.
If you are in the eLearning industry and you are wondering how you can step up your game, using an LRS tool is going to greatly improve the effectiveness of your courses. Therefore, it is time to incorporate it and experience all the benefits.
Kamy Anderson is an ed-tech enthusiast with a passion for writing on emerging technologies in the areas of corporate training and education.
He has 7+ years of experience working with ProProfs learning management system and other eLearning authoring tools, which has given him a hands-on experience of the latest course authoring software and an exclusive insight into the eLearning industry.