The Open Source Latest News over the past week
Dear readers, today we offer you a selection of the latest news in the field of Open Source over the past week: Released LeoFS v1.1.2, File manager Midnight Commander 4.8.13 is available, Wine 1.7.26 is now available, Gentoo Linux announced the availability of a new LiveDVD, and Tribler 6.3 – the decentralized and anonymous BitTorrent client saw the ligh.
Released LeoFS v1.1.2 – an unstructured object/data storage for the Web
Leo Project has announced the release LeoFS 1.1.2, a distributed fault-tolerant object/data storage for the Web. LeoFS intended to create your own cloud storage of unstructured data and is compatible with clients using the API Amazon S3 and REST. Supported optimum storage of both small and very large objects, there is a built-in caching mechanism available storage replication between data centers. Among the objectives of the project celebrated the achievement of the reliability of 99.9999999% due to excessive replication duplicates and exclusion single point of failure.
File manager Midnight Commander 4.8.13 released
Release presents a console file manager Midnight Commander 4.8.13, distributed in source code licensed under GPLv3 +.
- The possibility of easy interruption of operations performed by the user for a long time;
- In editor improved syntax highlighting CMake scripts and PHP;
- The possibility of determining the individual color schemes for the viewer;
- When you click on the row number in the viewer (caused by the transition function F5) now numbering begins with 1, not 0;
- Fixed problems with display of system management (man), containing text in utf-8;
- Clean code;
- Added new color themes gray-green-purple256 and gray-orange-blue256.
Wine 1.7.26 is now available
Released the next release of experimental open-source implementation Win32 API – Wine 1.7.26. Since the release of version 1.7.25 was closed 48 bug reports.
The most important changes:
- Added new features DirectWrite;
- Improved standard file selection dialog;
- Introduced a series of improvements in the environment C runtime;
- Closed bug reports related to the work of games and applications: TomTom Home, UnrealED 2, Kudos, MPQEdit 2.x, Call of Atlantis, MetaTrader 4, Final Fantasy XIV, War Leaders, Ava Trader, Depth Hunter, Topo4, Terraria 1.0. x, Macromedia Fireworks 8, eRacer, Serif PhotoPlus X5, Norton Power Eraser, SpellForce 2: Demons of the Past, Midnight Mysteries 3: Devil on the Mississipi.
Link: Wine 1.7.26 Released
Gentoo Linux announced the availability of a new LiveDVD
Gentoo Linux project has unveiled a new LiveDVD-assembly. Last assembly LiveDVD was released in 2012. To download prepared two variants iso-images: hybrid x86 / x86_64, which includes 32-bit programs, and additional 64-bit build libraries and kernel Linux (gentoo64), allowing you to use one as a LiveDVD 32, and at 64 bit systems, and the way to work only on systems x86_64 (2.7 GB).
The assembly uses a file system with support for AUFS overwrite base available only for reading that allows you to install additional packages. It is possible to move the home directory ($ HOME) to an additional partition or Flash-drive. A distinctive feature of the assembly is also a presence in the supply of components ZFSOnLinux to fully support the ZFS file system in the kernel Linux. For people with vision problems, in the assembly integrated Speakup voice control, allowing to use a speech synthesizer.
The LiveDVD contains software that is suitable for different categories of users. For example, in the delivery included kernel Linux 3.15.6, Xorg 1.16.0, KDE 4.13.3, GNOME 3.12.2, Xfce 4.10, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LXQt Desktop 0.7.0, i3 Desktop 2.8, Firefox 31.0, LibreOffice 4.2. 5.2, GIMP 2.8.10-r1, Blender 2.71-r1, Amarok 2.8.0-r2, Chromium 37.0.2062.35 etc.
Tribler 6.3 – the decentralized and anonymous BitTorrent client
After years of development, a new BitTorrent-client Tribler 6.3 saw the light this week. In Tribler 6.3 developed the idea of creating a self-sufficient decentralized BitTorrent-network using p2p-communication for direct client interaction without the use of centralized units. In particular, Tribler allows you to build a network without deploying separate BitTorrent-tracker and searches, addressing and download torrents by direct interaction between a customer. Tribler code is written in Python and licensed under LGPLv2.1 +. Installation packages are available for Ubuntu, ArchLinux, OS X and Windows.
The user is offered a graphical interface written using the library wxWidgets, and minimalistic web-based interface. The graphical interface provides a rich opportunity to find content, including the possibility of using different types of filters (there is even a parental control) and rating system that allows screen out spam and low-grade materials. To watch the video of the GUI enabled built-in viewer – just select the movie of interest and can immediately start watching it, without waiting for the download. Thanks to the built-in web-browser has the ability to work with content sites Youtube.com and Liveleak.com.