Fedora is a open source Linux-based operating system, a suite of software that makes your computer run. Yesterday Fedora 19 has been formally presented.
Available for download LiveCD installation with graphical environments based on KDE, GNOME, XFCE and LXDE, as well as a complete set, designed in the form of a DVD and a reduced image (199 MB) for network installation.
Among the most interesting innovations include:
– the delivery of the default packages with MariaDB instead of MySQL;
– integration CRIU for freezing and state recovery processes;
– CUPS update to version 1.6.0 and the involvement of PDF as the format for sending print jobs systemd update to version 204;
– support the use of Syslinux as an alternative bootloader;
– transition to using Ruby 2.0.0 and PHP 5.5;
– delivery desktop environments GNOME 3.8, KDE 4.10 and MATE Desktop 1.6.
The main innovations
– Support the use of Syslinux as an alternative simplified loader, which is convenient to use instead of GRUB in the various cloud and virtual environments. The possibility of tapping Syslinux instead of GRUB added to kickstart. In addition, prior to the release of Anaconda will be added to a special hidden by default the option to use Syslinux;
– Infrastructure Support OpenLMI to simplify remote management of Linux-systems;
– In the plugin yum-fs-snapshot added support for using LVM2 snapshot to undo the changes in the identification of problems after installing, updating, or removing packages;
– The integration of the printing system CUPS 1.6.0 and the transition to the use of PDF as the native format rather than PostScript;
– Engaging the core Linux 3.9;
– In order to download for each hardware configuration is now formed its own minimalist way of an initial ram-disk initramfs, containing only the necessary components. In the case of loading on other equipment or significant changes in the hardware configuration to recreate the initramfs is required to boot the system in recovery mode after a crash and run “dracut – regenerate-all – force”;
– Introduced additional protection against attacks involving the substitution of sample files in the directory / tmp symbolic or hard links. Enabled by default, check references of their respective owners and the destination file, and also takes into account features of the application links in writable directories.
Features implemented in the issues of the system manager systemd 196, systemd systemd 197 and 198, including:
– Support for various schemes predictable choice of names for network interfaces, in which the network adapter is assigned a fixed name that does not change when adding / removing other adapters. By default, the device name will be formed depending on the capabilities of the firmware. If the firmware / BIOS provides the interface numbers are indexed, then the built-in network interface name will be used “enoN”, and for the PCI-card – “ensN”. Otherwise it will be selected naming enpNsM, taking into account the physical connection device, and if the parameters of this offering will be available – will be used by the classical scheme ethX. Furthermore, to use an option available in the name of the data interface of MAC-addresses (e.g., enx78e7d1ea46da);
– The ability to dynamically change the settings on the fly based on the limited resources of cgroups for all services running under systemd. Modifying made without stopping the service;
– Support for the message catalog (“Message Catalog”), a structured database to store detailed information about the messages that are written to the system log. Each directory entry consists of a number of fields which may contain data in text, and binary representation. Data may be associated with information from external sources, for example, may include references to documents. Key data in the directory is indexed for optimal sampling;
– On the basis of systemd-nspawn means prepared to run unmodified in an insulated container of Fedora;
– Support system call events in relation to the calendar time, not only to repetitive time intervals. In particular, it is possible to initiate the launch of unit-and at the specified time you specified, for example, “Thu, Fri 2013 – 11:12:13 * -1.5” to start in 11 hours 12 minutes 13 seconds every first and fifth day months in 2013, provided that these days fall on a Thursday or Friday. With support for this Systemd already allows to assume most of the functions of the system cron and eliminate the need to run additional daemon crond.
Opportunities for end-users:
– Update desktop environments: GNOME 3.8, KDE 4.10 and MATE Desktop 1.6 (a fork of GNOME 2);
– Integration KScreen, a new simplified system of multi-monitor setup for KDE;
– The inclusion of a set of tools for 3D-modeling and working with 3D-printers. For example, included in the package OpenSCAD, Skeinforge, SFACT, Printrun and RepetierHost;
– Eliminated many flaws caused by changes in the organization of the installer Anaconda. Added the ability to connect additional storage, such as fcoe, iscsi and multipath. Improved installation mode in text mode;
– If you install GNOME initial setup is now done through a special interface initial setup GNOME, for the rest of the environment is still the initial setup via the installer;
– In the process of entering the password during installation of the entries are now displayed in clear text (the need to re-enter the password saved). On the one hand, this approach avoids the pitfalls in the process of entering the password (for example, using the wrong case or layout), but on the other hand entered the password can be podsmotren potential attacker;
– Updated user applications: LibreOffice 4.0, in File Roller adds support for working with archives RAR.
Opportunities for System Administrators:
– Adding packages to the new branch server BIND DNS-10, completely rewritten and radically different from BIND 9 from the point of view of architecture. If the BIND 9 all the possibilities provided one server process, the BIND 10 uses the idea of separating the functions of individual interrelated processes, each of which implements its service. In addition to the BIND 10 adds support for various models of data storage, increased scalability, support for clustering and integrated module that supports the protocol DHCP;
– Enhanced ability to configure NetworkManager from the command line using the utility nmcli. Updated version ModemManager, which has improved support for multi-mode modems, such as Qualcomm Gobi WWAN with support for CDMA / EVDO / LTE or GSM / UMTS / LTE;
– Ability to use firewalld high-level language to write complex rules to the firewall without the need to explore the syntax of iptables.
Opportunities for Developers:
– Replacing the MySQL database on MariaDB, which will be offered by default when you want to install a package with MySQL. All dependencies for third-party packages that require MySQL, will now be associated with MariaDB. Packages with MySQL does remain available as an option, but in future releases will be excluded from the distribution;
– Prepared means “Developers Assistant” for quick setup environment for the developer, simplifying the creation of new projects on the basis of pre-designed templates and examples, install the required tools for the choice of programming language, publication of the results on GitHub;
– Switching over to Ruby 2.0.0. The inclusion of JRuby 1.7, an alternative implementation of the language Ruby, written entirely in Java and designed to run in a virtual machine JVM;
– The transition to GCC 4.8 and GLIBC 2.17;
– The integration of the updated PHP-stack based on the branch PHP 5.5;
The inclusion of the visual environment Scratch, designed to teach programming and concepts based on the use of language Logo;
– The inclusion of the library MEMSTOMP to identify incorrect functions like memcpy and strcpy.
Virtualization and cloud systems:
– Integration of tools for the manipulation of snapshot-s applications in user space with the use of tools and CRIU CRtools, developed by local company Parallels. Said tool allows you to organize frozen state for one or a group of processes, followed by reduction of the stored items, including on a different computer or reset without breaking the already established network connections;
– Support for migration of virtual machines and associated storage c one server to another, without the need to connect both servers to shared storage system available;
– Expansion of the stack for high availability based on corosync and pacemaker means for resource management for embedded systems, virtual (guest system running inside another guest).
At the same time announced its readiness to “free” and “nonfree” repository project RPM Fusion for Fedora 19, which are available in packages with additional multimedia applications (MPlayer, VLC, Xine), video / audio codecs, support for DVD, proprietary drivers from AMD and NVIDIA, gaming programs, emulators.