Linux Mint 15 is based on packet-based Ubuntu 13.04, is fully compatible with it, but essentially different approach to the organization of the user interface and the selection of the default applications.
Linux Mint developers provide a desktop environment, the corresponding classical canons of desktop organization, which is more familiar to people not taking new methods of constructing the interface Unity and GNOME 3. Available for download DVD-assembly on the basis of shells MATE 1.6 (1GB) and Cinnamon 1.8 (928 MB).
In addition to differences in the organization of the desktop, is involved in the distribution of original applications, simplifying setup and operation of a system of first-time users. For example, in Linux Mint is used reworked menu system, a private manager to install and upgrade applications, the original interface for system setup mintConfig, “master” to adjust the various parameters of the system for novice users in the style of question-answer interface to configure the desktop, a tool to run Backup mintBackup etc.
Key features of Linux Mint 15:
– The structure includes new versions of desktop environments MATE 1.6 and Cinnamon 1.8, design and organization of work in the development of ideas which continues to GNOME 2 – user is prompted to desktop and panel with the menu, the Quick Launch, the list of open windows, and system tray applets from running;
– MATE continued development of the code base GNOME 2.32, based on GTK2 + and completely devoid of intersections with GNOME 3, which allows the use of traditional desktop GNOME 2 in parallel with the GNOME desktop 3;
– The new version of MATE done a lot of cleaning of obsolete components and replace them with current technology, many of which are used in GNOME 3, a large portion of the improvements included in the file manager Caja; expanded opportunities panels;
– Cinnamon is based on GTK3 + and GNOME 3 technologies. The project develops a skin GNOME Shell and Mutter window manager in the direction of the environment in the style of GNOME 2 with a more modern design elements and making use of the GNOME Shell, complementary means of the classic desktop. The new version introduces support for Cinnamon desklety (Desklets) – integrable on the desktop mini-applications that perform analog KDE plasmoids and widgets Android; added a separate manager for setting the external components (applets desklety, themes, add-ons), and tracking the updates , expanded opportunities file manager Nemo; adds a new implementation of a screen saver;
– Updated used in the distribution display manager MDM 1.2, which is a fork of GDM 2.20. As a new GDM display manager provides graphical tools to customize input parameters, the use of visual themes, a means of organizing work remotely, connect their scripts for handling events, automatic logon, language selection;
– The structure includes a new application Software Sources (MintSources), designed specifically for the Linux Mint and for setting the source application installation, speaking before the replacement of the component software-properties-gtk. From the main screen, Software Sources, you can activate or disable the optional components that enable access to the repository with backports and unstable versions of packages to get the source packages from applications that use external repositories and the PPA, key management, authentication;
– In addition, the program provides a visual interface to select the fastest mirror, showing for each of the mirrors of the results of the test to assess the actual download speed on the current machine;
– As part of the application Driver Manager (MintDrivers) developed a new interface for the installation of available and alternative proprietary drivers for popular devices (NVIDIA, AMD, Broadcom, Samsung, etc.);
– New features of Installation Manager application: added support for automatic download the next portion of the elements at the approach of viewing the end of the page with the list, the ability to search only in certain categories of applications, packages of Java section is now visible in Programming;
– Installation Manager updates no longer require root permissions to update the cache.
Main link to news: