Tizen project is being developed under the auspices of the Linux Foundation, with the participation of LiMo Foundation, Intel and Samsung.
Release is available in source form, on which you can prepare yourself for the assembly of various devices, as well as in the form of finished assemblies for some of the standard models of devices such as the Samsung Galaxy S2 HD and Samsung Galaxy S3. To facilitate the formation of assemblies supported repository of packages. Release of the first phone based on Samsung’s Tizen is planned for August.
At the same time for mobile application developers released a package Tizen SDK 2.1, which includes a development environment based on Eclipse, phone emulator based on QEMU, documentation, sample applications, utilities and components for building software. SDK available for the platforms Linux (Ubuntu), Windows and Mac OS X.
Mobile application developers the opportunity to use HTML5 technology to create cross-platform applications, work equally well on a wide variety of devices without requiring a separate assembly for each version of the hardware and software platform. Web API Tizen platform is formed by using the already known as web-standards and HTML5-tech and advanced interfaces for device management. Within the Web API developers given the tools to create a full-fledged mobile applications that are comparable in functionality to programs for other mobile platforms. To create games and graphics applications, we use WebGL. Running applications written in low-level programming languages such as C and C + + is provided by Native Framework.
Features Tizen 2.1:
– Improved framework for developing mobile applications with ispolzovainem web-based technologies. Added such new HTML5 API, as Content Security Policy 1.0 and – Navigation Timing, updated earlier supported the specification;
Added runtime-framework that supports Web DynamicBox embedded Web DynamicBox areas in the application, for example, in the program with the implementation of the home screen;
– In a development environment Native Programs Native IDE provided the wizard to create new projects, including a visual interface builder, the system of the unit-tests and dynamic code analysis;
– Improved reference applications delivered in the form of native programs, and as a web-based application. Among the available basic programs: home shell, screen lock manager, calculator, calendar, address book, photo manager, the configurator interface to the means of telephony, video player, music player, a file manager, a messaging system, a program for note taking, web-browser, mail client interface to work with the camera;
– The transition to the system manager Systemd as the basic system initialization and service management services (support for System V init system is terminated);
– Added new module for hardware control that acts as an intermediary between the framework and the OAL-layer (OEM Adaptation Layer), directly interacts with the devices.
Involved a mandatory access control SMACK.
Of basic services (Core Service) and components of the platform include:
– Graphic stack and user interface. It consists of a set of libraries EFL (Enlightenment Foundation Libraries), based on the X11 windowing system modules to support OpenGL ES and various input methods, including multi-touch. The interface and graphics effects generated by libraries EFL, including rendering library Evas and system widgets Elementary. Among the components of the graphics stack: DRI2 and libdrm, compositing window manager based on the EFL, OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0, EGL 1.4, software for the backend output (X11) and Accelerated O (OpenGL ES), 3D-and 2D-stacks, including vector graphics support through the library Cairo;
– A framework for managing applications, including applications to run on the package name, URL, or MIME-type, package management, as well as the initiation of the system services, such as an application for receiving calls, a notification is displayed, change the screen orientation, etc. In the framework, the public components involved such as Appcore, DBus, GNU gettext, libICU;
– The framework for the operation of high-grade native applications with full access to low-level operations that are not available on the program HTML5. Supported not only by the GUI, but also the performance of server-end applications. You can use a direct network communication function calls OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0, direct access to the equipment and the like;
– Basic services – a set of standard system libraries, providing performance of operations such as database access, internationalization, and processing XML;
Network services – the functionality needed to create a network connection and maintenance of the network. Provided support for 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HTTP, and NFC (Near Field Communication). To configure the 3G and Wi-Fi connection using the configurator ConnMan (Connection Manager). To work with the Bluetooth uses the package bluez;
– Services for location-based framework, GeoClue. Supports both positioning through GPS, and using WPS (Wi-Fi Positioning System), Cell ID and various other sensors;
– Services for sending and receiving messages (SMS, MMS, Email and IM);
– Multimedia subsystem based on GStreamer, which provides control of the various types of content, including video, sound, images, and VoIP. The platform supports a large amount of multimedia formats and codecs, thanks to harnessing the components of FFmpeg. Among the supported features are marked tools to work with the camera application for recording audio and video, multimedia player;
– PIM (Personal Information Management) – personal information management system and stored on the device of the user. Includes tools to work with address book, calendar, scheduler, task list and attached to the device data (eg, location and status of the connection). Specifications are supported vCard 3.0 and vCalendar 1.0;
– System security and access control, as well as certificate management and secure application delivery organization. Encryption and SSL / TLS support implemented using OpenSSL;
– System services and tools to manage the hardware. In particular, interfaces to access different types of devices (sensors, screen, etc.), power management, event handling (USB, MMC, connect the charger or headphones), the upgrade of the system;
– Telephony stack for operation in cellular networks (UMTS and CDMA) and managing SIM-card;
– Web-stack-based browser engine WebKit (webkit-efl) with the implementation of Tizen Web API. Service Web UI based on the library JQuery Mobile.