The final beta version of Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail) Available for testing. The official release, scheduled on April 25.
Presented beta version marked the preparation of test setup iso-images of Ubuntu and Ubuntu Server, which were formed only for daily builds, intermediate alpha and beta builds were canceled.
Also, formed the first test build of the new official branch – Ubuntu GNOME, supplied with a standard desktop environment GNOME. Finished test images also created for Edubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, UbuntuKylin (version for Chinese users), Ubuntu Cloud, Ubuntu Studio, and Xubuntu.
The main innovations Ubuntu 13.04 include:
– Actuate the core Linux 3.8;
– Upstart init system has been updated to version 1.8. As an experimental control features added support for user sessions (mode Session Init), which appeared in the Upstart 1.7 and allows you to use Upstart to initialize an X session. By default, this feature is disabled (to enable it uncomment “ubuntu” in the file / etc / upstart-xsessions);
– In the base with the distribution decided to deliver only Python 3.3 (Python 2 remains in the repository);
– Custom shell Unity updated to version 6.12, which differs significantly increased productivity. Of the changes in the interface can be noted a new implementation menu to synchronize data using the service Ubuntu One, complete the new dialogue, new visual effects (for example, during a window off the screen in a ghostly form points to the area that the application will take when you release the mouse button ), new icons and bar lenses easy mode enumeration of the panel to open several windows application (for busting windows, you can use the mouse to scroll the application icon), the new panel settings (for example, hide icons with virtual screens, add buttons to minimize all windows);
– In Kubuntu KDE celebrated component upgrade to version 4.10.2, the delivery center management applications Muon Suite 2, Rekonq browser update to version 2.2.1, the integration of full-screen applications menu Homerun (see screenshot below), the new multi-monitor setup, delivery of fonts Oxygen Sans, processing installation interface, support for access to mobile devices via MTP (used in Android 3 + instead of emulating USB-drive), support to boot into the UEFI Secure Boot, delivery OpenJDK7 as the implementation of Java by default;
– In Xubuntu was increasing the size of iso-image of up to 850 MB, the supply returned Gnumeric and GIMP, updated the visual theme;
– In Ubuntu Studio updated environment Xfce 4.10 and enables the graphical installer Ubiquity. The new programs for audio supercollider, faust, lmms; program for video: denlive and recordmydesktop; graphics packages: krita and create-resources;
– The Ubuntu GNOME desktop environment involved GNOME 3.6. The recently released GNOME 3.8 is available through the PPA-repository, but it decided not to include in the release, as this issue is not enough tested and leads to a number of problems during use. Compared with Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 in Ubuntu GNOME by default enabled Firefox instead Epiphany, Ubuntu Software Center and Update Manager instead configurators GNOME, LibreOffice instead of Abiword and Gnumeric.
Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail Final Beta – What’s New
Main link to news: