Project Mozilla, which celebrates its fifteenth anniversary these days, formally introduced release web-browser Firefox 20, and a mobile version of Firefox 20 for Android.
In the next few days in beta testing, will branch Firefox 21, and will be separated aurora-branch Firefox 22.
According to the six-week development cycle, Firefox 21 release is scheduled for May 14, and Firefox 22 on June 25.
In the coming hours expected release Seamonkey 2.17, as well as updating the branches with long term support for Firefox 17.0.5 and Thunderbird 17.0.5.
Of the improvements presented in Firefox 20, include:
– New implementation of the private mode, which provides the ability to open separate windows in private mode, working simultaneously with conventional neprivatnymi windows (previously supported only the initiation of general private session). The new feature allows you to open a separate window, all tabs that will work without sedimentation data in your history and local caches. In the context menu, in addition to opening links in a new window, added support for opening links in a private box. Unlike previously available to Private Browsing Mode, the new regime does not affect the work already open tabs and does not require an active closing session, allowing the combined opening sites in normal and private mode;
– Redesigned user interface to manage the downloads. The progress of the download can be easily controlled through a special area in the toolbar without having to review statistics in a separate window;
– The possibility of closing unresponsive plugins without freezing the entire browser. If the plug does not respond within 45 seconds, the user will notice only to restart a hung plugin without restarting the whole browser;
– Support getUserMedia API for accessing web-camera and microphone on the local computer (the user will be a special warning to the question, whether he agrees to provide access to equipment). In conjunction with API, CSS-like filters and webGL, a new feature allows you to create flexible means for treatment, the camera content. GetUserMedia API support is an important step towards widespread adoption of the future standard WebRTC, aimed at the implementation for Web-tools for organizing audio and video communications in real time;
– Continued work to improve the performance of different parts of the browser, including changes increase the speed of page loading speeds up exit and accelerate background downloading files;
– Means to reset the search engine used when keywords are typed in the address bar Awesomebar. This possibility will cancel the changes you have made to third-party software or modify about: config;
– On by default, support for CSS3-property Flexbox, designed to simplify the block layout of elements on the page. Using Flexbox developer can easily adapt their pages for optimal display on the screens of different sizes and with different resolutions. In particular, for the small screens of smartphones or tablets can arrange automatic resizing of content and regroup, move up the most important elements and reduce the number of columns;
– Presented Developer Toolbox, a unified interface for easy access to tools for developers in a single window, such as the web-console, debugger, editor of the inspection system and styles;
– In canvas adds support for blending modes (Canvas Blend Modes). In imposing the displayed image to other images can now provide not only the replacement of overlapping areas, but also the imposition of color mixing;
– Continued implementation of the new elements presented in the draft standard, ECMAScript 6: added call clear () and Math.imul;
– Empowering tag audio and video: Support playbackRate attribute to control the playback speed flow, for example, you can view a video presentation at an accelerated rate, suspending play only on points of interest. Support for combining multiple logical Ogg-flow (Ogg chaining).
Improvements in Firefox 20 for platform Android:
- Reduced system requirements, Firefox can now work on devices with ARMv6-processor with a frequency of 600MHz, 384 MB RAM and a screen QVGA (320×240).
- Added support for additional devices based on processors ARMv6: Samsung Galaxy Next (GT-S5570, GT-S5578), HTC Aria (S31HT), HTC Legend (A6363), Samsung Dart (SGH-T499), Samsung Galaxy Pop (SCH-i559) , Samsung Galaxy Q (SGH-T589).
- Added support for hardware decoding H.264/AAC/MP3 using Android 3.x and 4.x.
- Possible to configure the contents of the “Top Sites” on the home page (about: home).
Separately, it should be noted that in addition to new features and bug fixes in Firefox 20 series fixed vulnerabilities, some of which are labeled ‘critical’, ie could lead to code execution when a specially designed pages. At present the information with details about the security problem is not available, it is expected that the list of vulnerabilities will be published in a few hours.
Firefox per window Private Browsing
Find and manage downloaded files in Firefox
Main link to news: