After six months of development, officially launched production of desktop environment GNOME 3.8.
In preparation for the new version of 960 developers participated, compared with the previous release of 35,936 made the changes. To quickly view the capabilities of the new release prepared a special demo Live-distribution based on openSUSE.
Of the most significant changes in the new version include:
- the components fallback-mode, instead of which now are offered a special set of additions to GNOME Shell;
- redesigned Control Center settings, including a new panel to the new panel to control the parameters of privacy and sharing settings, go to expanding the use of X-XInput2;
- Customization search overview mode and adding tabs to the most frequently used applications, integrate with OwnCloud;
- implemented filtering system notifications added new applications for note taking with your photos and view the weather.
More information about the improvements:
Removed from the components to support fallback-mode, which offers the opportunity to work on systems do not support OpenGL and allows to compose the work environment in the style of GNOME 2.x. Support the organization of classical desktop GNOME 3.8 is provided through a set of additions to the supply of GNOME Shell. In this approach, managed to get rid of fragmentation code base associated with the need to support a separate subsystem in charge of the fallback-mode, largely duplicates the functionality of the other subsystems and continue to use obsolete and practically no longer supported components, such as a window manager Metacity, gnome-panel panel, the notification daemon and the old panel. A shift to a single code base for classic and standard modes GNOME 3 failed to simplify support of the project and engage in the classic mode, new features of GNOME 3, for example, to integrate support IBus.
All costs related to the classic mode additions are highlighted in the new module gnome-shell-extensions. In the login manager (GDM) adds the ability to select the user’s session with the classic desktop, which automatically applies a number of specific settings and activate complement GNOME Shell with the implementation of the task bar, basic menus, buttons, opening and folding windows and an alternative method of switching windows with Alt + Tab. When choosing the classic desktop, for a more explicit separation clearance from GNOME 3, enabled gray style GNOME 2, which allows the user to see at a glance what mode it is.
In the Control Center and the daemon configuration support for new panels and updated implementation available before. In addition to the conspicuous changes in preparation center setting a lot of work “under the hood”:
– Prepared a set of tests to verify the functionality and detect regressive changes in the various modules from udisks and upowerl to glib and gnome-settings-daemon;
– Panel Control Center is now embedded in the application control-center, but not implemented as loadable modules. All. Ui-files and other data is loaded in the form of resources. As a result, managed to significantly reduce the time of launch the Control Center;
– Improved standards support. For gnome-settings-daemon developed a small plug to the implementation org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver D-Bus API. Support for this API will allow developers of media players and other applications to simplify activation for a screen saver.
– Ability to control output notifications from individual applications. Implemented interface allows a quick turn off the generation of all notifications for a specific application, and to fine-tune and filter only certain types of annoying notifications. For example, for each application, you can disable sound notifications, pop-up banners, notice when the screen lock disable this detailed information, etc.
– Change the look of communications, which is now displayed at the bottom of the screen when the pointer to the bottom edge of the screen. When making a decision on the withdrawal of the block notification estimated force with which the pointer is pressed against the bottom of the screen to prevent accidental movement of the mouse. For opening and closing the tray can also use keyboard shortcut Super + M. To move the focus to the current notice, you can press Super + N.
– Added a new panel to control privacy settings, which includes parameters, more or less connected with personal data. For example, the display name, user control over the accumulation of stories of action, cleaning temporary files. Including this panel moved settings to activate the screen saver, as an unlocked when user leaving from work screen may result in unauthorized access to information.
– Added a new panel to control the sharing that allows to manage opportunities, not just in the local system. For example, in the panel are set to link with Bluetooth-enabled devices (bluetoothgnome-bluetooth), the opening of access to the files and screen (gnome-user-share), providing remote access to the desktop (vino), activation of the DLNA-server (rygel) and Even the inclusion of SSH-server.
– New control panel search tools, allows to enable / disable or change the order of the output of various types of content and results of external search providers when performing a search query in the overview mode, GNOME Shell. For example, you can specify the output documents and contacts in the first place.
– Activate the screen saver settings in the control panel transferred personal data, with the result that in the Display Control Panel, there were only settings that affect energy consumption. In this regard, the panel has been renamed to Power. The panel is available settings such as level selection screen brightness, turn off the screen when inactive, turning off WiFi, management hibernation and standby.
– Added new interface for initial setup of a new installation. Interface simplifies the creation of self-sufficient distributions based on GNOME, assuming the implementation of actions that you can complete installers. For example, the interface will provide the initial configuration of network connections, to create a user account, set the time zone and bind to the online-services.
– The transition to the use of extension XInput2, which allows to dynamically change the device settings on the fly and use one screen multiple independent pointers, each of which is tied to a single input device. Transition to the future XInput2 allowed to provide full support for multi-touch and gesture control. Using the opportunity to determine the barriers to the index, which appeared in the release of X-Server 1.14, the transition to XInput2 given an opportunity to provide a challenge in the message area from the edge of the sliding touch touch screen, without having to move the cursor to the corner.
– Change the look of the search results in the overview mode. To perform a specific search adds the ability to connect third-party search handler (search providers). Over the results of application icons now appear to process encountered when searching for content types by clicking on which you can perform a quick filtering of results. Procedure for displaying the results in the list and are involved in the search providers determined by the settings in the Control Panel search tool.
– In the overview mode added tab, which displays only the frequently used applications, allowing you to quickly find popular software, without having to iterate through the general list. A full list of the applications available through the tabs All, in which case an additional partition applications used by groups.
– Optimized algorithm location sketches of windows in overview mode, increased awareness of the current window. Thumbnail size now reflects the real size of the windows, designs became more recognizable. If you hold down the Ctrl key survey mode remains open even in the process of launching applications.
– Simplify the switching between multiple keyboard layouts and provided a visual display of the selection process layouts.
– New application for taking notes (Notes, previously Bijiben), fully adapted to the new style and methods of work of GNOME 3, and is closely integrated with the operating environment and supports a clear allocation of different color groups of notes.
– New application for working with photos (Photos), provides the means to search and navigate through the photos in the local and cloud storage, which allows to organize share photos.
– Application to view the weather.
– Bring to a full new type of host application with the implementation of advanced Clocks hours, supporting the work as an alarm clock, timer, stopwatch and programs for the visual evaluation of the time in different parts of the world;
– Browser Epiphany transferred to the engine using a model WebKit2 separation of content and interface handlers for various processes. Added extension for blocking ads, which is disabled by default. A toolbar button has been added to create a new tab. Implemented a new system Plug-in allows you to use Adobe Flash. Added Private Browsing Mode. Added ability to recover accidentally closed tab.
– The application for viewing documents (Documents) implemented a new system for document navigation (scrolling pages) with a built area of the preview thumbnails.
– The mode of a two-page document display. New dialogs for working with bookmarks and table of contents. Added tools for integration with Google Docs and Google Drive, for example, you can view the PDF-files stored in Google Drive, Google Docs to edit documents directly from the interface of GNOME Documents, share documents via Google Docs;
– The address book is reworked design output contacts, has a new edit mode, added means for selecting a group of contacts to delete or binding provided a general conclusion from all contacts from different online-sources.
– Integration with external storage based ownCloud. After connecting to the account GNOME ownCloud, the contents of the external storage is available for all applications GNOME, which can seamlessly work with ownCloud placed in files, calendar, and address book.
– The program for managing disks (Disks) adds support for creating and modifying parameters RAID-partition disk power management and the ability to perform actions with several discs;
– In the file manager, a new mode threaded view files and directories. In the sidebar button added to connect to the server (Connect to Server). Provided incremental mode loading search results, allowing to start working with the results before the end of the search.
– Switching to the Network Configurator NetworkManager 0.9.8, which implements the ability to customize work as an access point to a wireless network (Hotspot), support for 4G LTE, automatic activation for certain types of VPN connections;
– New features of the program Boxes, which combines tools for remote connection to desktops with control mechanisms and run virtual environments on local and external computers. Added support for USB-forwarding devices in the virtual environment. Added support for smartcards. Improved means of installing Windows XP and Windows 7 guests. Support provided to connect to the virtual machines running with oVirt. Ability to pause once more virtual machines.
– The control system online-accounts added support OwnCloud and Flickr, email account settings (IMAP and SMTP), and the ability to connect to Google services using OAuth 2.0.
– Hotkeys provided regardless of the active profile GNOME Shell, which allows, for example, to initiate the creation of screenshots while in overview mode;
– The search indexer Tracker adds support for Full Text Search (FTS) v4 and the ability to index the content of files, and XPS DVI;
– Increased productivity and quality rederinga animation effects through improved coordination among the components responsible for the removal of motion graphics. For example, the more smoothly changes the size of windows and visual changes.
Main link to news: