In terms of features GitLab like GitHub, but is not tied to a particular service, available in source code under a free license, and you can deploy web-service project management-controlled on its server.
GitLab project was designed for organizations in corporate team development projects, as it allows without reference to the cloud vendor to deploy tools like Github Enterprise and Gitorious. Web-interface GitLab much like GitHub, but, nevertheless, do not copy it, but only repeats the most successful principles.
GitLab supports the creation of individual projects, bug tracking, processing of requests for adding code (working process is based on the processing of merge-requests), navigate the branches and tags, change control, reviewing code, multi-level access control, Wiki, exchange small pieces of code, visual analysis of the differences between the versions of the code repository branch visualization, and more.
Of the innovations that have been added to GitLab 5.0, include:
– Instead used to protect access to repositories add a new component involved Gitolite GitLab-shell, provides a means for maintaining a separate database c virtual users the ability to access repositories on Git-SSH-keys without creating system accounts;
– Be able to work under a single infrastructure GitLab system account git, without the need for the establishment of additional users gitlab and git;
– Storing wiki pages is now done in the git-repository using the library gollum;
– A new tool to import external repositories;
– The ability to attach an explanatory text for the projects, groups and project teams;
– Support for integration with external systems, bug tracking;
– Strengthening the security options for the use of protected investments, update Rails, devise, and other libraries, making changes to protect against XSS-attacks;
– Numerous changes in the user interface to increase usability.
Project code is written in Ruby using the Ruby on Rails framework and is distributed under a free license MIT. Data storage is supported with a bunch of Redis MySQL or PostgreSQL. In parallel, free continuous integration server GitLab CI, which can be used in conjunction with GitLab for test automation and continuous monitoring of the quality of the code base, including providing a check for rebuilding each of the changes.
Main link to news: