Presented Release of the project ownCloud 5, in which the organization is developing a system for storage, synchronization and data exchange, hosted on external servers.
From similar services such as Google Docs, Dropbox, box.net, and Ubuntu One system differs ownCloud providing users full control over their data – the information is not tied to external private cloud storage systems, and is placed on the user-controlled systems. Of related functions are support tools for sharing and synchronization between the different systems of data such as address book, calendar, scheduler, and bookmarks with the possibility of viewing and editing from any device at any point in the network.
Source texts of system extend within the license AGPL. OwnCloud server can be deployed on any hosting that supports the execution of PHP-scripts, and provides access to SQLite, MySQL or PostgreSQL. Initially, the project developed community KDE, but last year the founders of the project created a commercial company ownCloud Inc, which took over the development of ownCloud and start providing paid services and Enterprise-platform version.
Major improvements added to ownCloud 5:
- The user interface is redesigned for explicit separation of navigation elements built into the platform, and provides external additions. Settings in a single unit and are divided into personal and linked to the amendments. The new design focuses on user content, as well as easier to navigate and configure synchronization client for desktop and mobile systems;
- Support to recover files and folders accidentally deleted a web-interface. Deleted files are now moved to the first basket, from which they can extract similar to the basket for the implementations of desktop systems;
- The new full-text search system based on the use of Apache Lucene search engine and lets you search not only by file names, but also by their content. Performing a search query is performed in the background asynchronously, without interrupting the availability of the interface for other tasks;
- Expanded version control tool for the changed files. A new algorithm with a shortage of disk space, or at the approach to exceeding quotas automatically remove older versions of the repository files whose lifetime has exceeded the limit specified by the user;
- Added addition to checking the stored files for viruses. To check the software package Clam AV. Supports automatic removal of infected files or information about problems in the form of a report;
Users can now choose an additional name to be displayed to other users instead of the login;
- Rewritten implement photo galleries. Simplified interface to access and share photos with friends and family. Added support for slide shows;
- Improved calendar planner. Added the ability to mark items as confidential and publicly available;
- The possibilities of bookmarks, making it easy to create, search and bookmarking. In panel button has been added to mark the item to be read in the future;
Added faster realization embedded in ownCloud PDF-viewer;
- Improved tools for streaming media content in the embedded media player;
- Performance optimization work with the repository. Increased efficiency of cache files, allowing in some cases speed up access to the storage of up to 500%. Added support for external storage with access to SFTP. Provided background scanning for external repositories such as Google Drive, Dropbox, FTP, etc. Improved performance additions for external storage Dropbox, Swift, FTP, Google Docs, S3 and WebDAV. The speed of communication between multiple servers ownCloud;
- Significantly increased the speed of synchronization between the client desktop systems, reduced traffic during synchronization;
Added additional mechanisms to protect against CSRF-and XSS-attacks;
- Improved support for storing user settings in the LDAP. Added the ability to connect multiple external LDAP and AD directories. Implemented tools to find the attributes in LDAP and AD. Increased productivity and improved with a large catalog of LDAP;
- To remotely control and monitor operation of ownCloud, a new REST API, compliant Open Collaboration Services (OCS) 1.7;
- Improvement of management additions. Possible to add a simple installation of a central repository apps.owncloud.com and automatic removal from the server locked additions. When the update is now displayed in the interface is a button with a proposal to install a newer version of the supplement. Separately allocated recommended and proven supplement that is guaranteed to not have problems.
- Support tools for sharing and synchronization between the different systems of data such as address book, calendar, scheduler, and bookmarks with the possibility of viewing and editing from any device at any point in the network. Perhaps the opening of public access to individual files or to provide users with the specified permission to edit;
- Access to storage can be provided by the network mount the partition using WebDAV, KDE KIO-Slaves, applications for mobile phones (Android, iOS) or via web-interface;
- WebDAV support is provided to allow the data from any operating system using any standard WebDAV-client, even the machines protected by a firewall or behind address translator;
- In Linux you can mount a remote directory as part of the local file system using FUSE-module or plug in a KDE KIO-Slaves. Integration modules with ownCloud prepared for a variety of file managers like Dolphin, Nautilus, Finder and Explorer;
- Support for Open Collaboration Services API, which gives the ability to send notifications, such as when you send a file to others, via a standard mechanism for notifying KDE;
- Support data synchronization with other web-enabled applications protocol remoteStorage, developed within the project Unhosted, in which the concept of developing a web-based application for which user data is not tied to a particular service or storage;
- Plugin system allows users to create their own extensions to the implementation of additional functions. Examples of plug-ins that can be integrated with web-oriented storage ownCloud, are:
- plugin support for joint album, a music server, allows you to listen your own music collection from any device on the network, storage and video podcasts, with access via a web-interface or the media player;
- There is a system of rights management of users and groups;
- Modules to integrate support for OpenID and LDAP;
- Support organizations for direct access to your music collection, archive photos and personal information (calendar, address book, bookmarks) or work with the data from third-party applications;
- In the web-based integrated tools to work with synchronized address book, calendar, scheduler, photo collections, archives of music. Ability to work in sync with ownCloud address book and calendar-planner of the programs that support the protocol CardDAV and CalDAV, for example, Kontact, Thunderbird and Evolution;
- OwnCloud server prepared for Ampache, lets you stream music to broadcast programs such as Amarok and Tomahawk;
- Can be used as a backend to store the data source control system Git, to allow access to old versions of files and trace the history of changes. The new feature allows users at any time to cancel the upgrade file and return to its previously saved version;
- Support for encrypted data transfer and store files in an encrypted form. When activated, the server administrator ownCloud can not view the contents of a user’s files, since only the data owner who knows the password can access your files;
- Ability to mount an external file system to your cloud storage. Supports external FTP-servers, and content such as Dropbox cloud storage and Google Drive. Feature allows the user to provide access to all the services file sharing and external storage from a single interface ownCloud;
- Automatic backups and tools for migration associated with the user account data to other ownCloud-server.
Main link to news: