Cloud storage is growing among businesses but there are certain things you must know about your storage company to get the write coverage to protect your data.
Companies everywhere are quickly learning about the revolutionary storage method for their data.
Cloud computing services are a cost-effective and convenient way of storing one’s data without having to invest in sometimes costly external hard drives.
Further, there is an infinite amount of storage so you never have to instruct your employees that they have to delete older files to make room for new ones. Another advantage of this type of storage solution is that you are able to access the data at any computer or device with internet capability. Although using cloud has many positives, you still need to be concerned about whether or not your data is safe.
Whenever you have data that is being virtually stored, you are at added risk of it being accessible to other people. Edward Snowden, a CIA employee and NSA contractor, became infamous for sharing close to 200,000 classified US government documents that were shared to a cloud to the press. Snowden has many beginning to wonder if information that is saved to a cloud is vulnerable to hacking.
Must Ask Questions
When deciding on which company to go with for storage, it’s important to get answers to the following questions so that you are choosing a provider that will effectively protect your data.
- Do they offer encryption services? It’s important to chose a company that does encryption. Encryption is the translation of data that you have stored to your cloud into a secret code. Using a service that uses encryption will make it harder to have your information hacked. If the provider does not offer this, it is highly suggested to find a provider that does.
- Are they reputable for their security? Doing a quick internet search on the company is an easy way to check on the reputation of the company. Pay close attention to what people say about the provider’s security measures. It’s crucial to remember considering this company will be storing your personal information.
- How is data encrypted? Even if data is encrypted you still need to follow up with more questions since how it is encrypted is important. Data should be encrypted as follows:
- Ensure that the app you are using to upload and download information to the cloud requires an encrypted connection.
- Most cloud service providers do not encrypt data once it reaches the cloud so it’s important to consider what information you store on it. Since people with high level access to your server can access the information, you really want to think about what you want on the cloud. It might be wise to still save some files to your personal hard drive so that it is harder for one to access it.
How you choose cloud computing services is important if you’re looking to store a large amount of data and keep it safe. Do your research so you understand what is important to consider when selecting a provider and pay attention to the ways they protect the data they store.
Is your data adequately protected?