The Apache Software Foundation has announced the release of high-performance http-server Apache Traffic Server 4.0.1.
Apache Traffic Server supports caching, which allows to reduce the load on the server and reduce internal traffic through the re-using and the impact of caching frequently accessed web- pages, images and references to web-services. For queries that can not be cached can be used proxy mode provides load balancing means and filtering requests. To extend the functionality of Apache Traffic Server provides an API for developing plug-ins that can perform various tasks, such as changing the HTTP- headers and content to send content or creating handlers c implementation support new protocols.
Initially, the product was originally developed by Yahoo, but in 2009 moved into the category of open source projects , and transfer funds to Apache. Traffic Server is used in Yahoo for the operation of the system of dynamic processing HTTP- requests daily delivery to end-users about 400 terabytes of content and 30 billion objects. For performance testing of Traffic Server was able to provide a return of more than 200 thousands of small objects per second for making use of caching in RAM or 100 million objects per second without caching.
The main changes:
- The ability to bind to a specific URL repositories. For example, you can organize caching certain content only to the SSD-drives;
- Tools to manage HTTP-transaction based on the current memory consumption when they are processed. The new version allows you to limit the bandwidth in case the size of an in-memory buffer exceeds a certain limit, and to remove the restriction in the recovery of the situation at a rate of memory. Using plug-ins constraints can also be specified for individual transactions;
- Support for binding to a fixed core processors cores CPU, excluding the migration between the CPU;
- Support for query processing HTTP Range;
- New plugins : gzip and cacheurl;
- Pause mode until the end of the initialization proxy cache ( temporary unavailability of the cache after the server can lead to unwanted surge in requests to the backend ) ;
- Caching the content of zero length (useful for caching redirects);
- Support for duplication of items in the cache on different nodes of the cluster;
- Expanded the number of options which may be overriding a plugin API or through the module conf_remap.so;
- In the plugin API hooks for added control during the initialization of the network port is ready to receive connections and willingness to cache;
- Changing the format of the storage of the cache. In the transition to version 4.0 requires re-initialized cache.
Additionally marked change in the process of preparing releases.
Major releases will be issued once a year , and intermediate – once a quarter. As part of a significant release will be guaranteed at the level of backward compatibility API, ABI, functionality and format of the cache. Master-branch in Git will now be constantly maintained in a stable form that is ready for release at any time, allowing the use of the cut branches as a replacement test releases.
Mail link to news: https://blogs.apache.org/trafficserver/entry/v4_0_1_is_finally