High quality has became the most popular factor of a choice the Enterprises of Open Source Software
Black Duck Software company and investment fund North Bridge Venture announced the publication of results of the annual survey of the future of open source software based on the identification of trends related to the use of open source software in the enterprise. As a result of preparation of the report it was interrogated 822 respondents representing consumers, and producers of open source software.
The respondents were asked questions concerning the various factors affecting the use of open source, such as the economic impact on the open source software, the key drivers and barriers in the implementation of open source software, as well as recommendations for the construction and maintenance revenue business models associated with open source software . The survey revealed a revolutionary impact of open source software and used for its development of methods to all sectors of the economy. Open-source software has produced a cultural shift in the business, which manifests itself in new ways of co-operation between competitors, changes in the form of recruitment, organization and business.
Of the notable features identified in the submitted survey marked change in the motives for choosing open source solutions instead of proprietary products. Increasingly, enterprises as the main reasons for the use of open source software mentions the promotion of innovation, higher quality code and intensive development, and less point out as the main factor of the desire to get a free or cheap alternative.
– The quality of open source software is now perceived as one of the most important factors contributing to the choice of open source software. Businesses have realized the benefits of the model, in which thousands of developers are working together to eliminate mistakes, the creation of innovation and increased security code. If in 2012 the quality mentioned in third place in terms of importance when choosing open source software, it is now referred to as the most important factor. Leading recent years, the desire to overcome the link to the vendor moved from first to second place;
– If a company previously called as the main barriers to switching to open source security (fear that the availability of the code affects the safety) and licensing questions, formed around a strong community of open source projects were able to turn the existing views – safety and free licenses are now marked as factors contributing to implementation;
– The main forces driving the industry forward, called the innovation (61%) and joint cooperation (48%). 57% of respondents indicated that their companies plan to in the next three years to collaborate with competitors by participating in established communities around open source projects;
– As a technology that can most strongly influence the business, marked cloud systems, technology of processing large volumes of data and mobile technologies;
– Knowledge of open source software and innovative technologies is rated as the most important trend in the training of personnel for the next 2-3 years. It is also noted a change in priorities for employment, rather than the broad skills that span different tehnolgiya, preference is given to a deep experience with specific systems;
– The main problems of the business, which helps to solve the open-source software, called the need to reduce costs, handling large amounts of data and system integration issues;
– The highest growth is observed introduction of open source software in government agencies, healthcare and media sectors. In this case, predicted that in the next 2-3 years, the degree of implementation of open source software in gosstorukturah at 35%, followed by academic institutions and health care – 15%, the media company – 13%, financial companies – 9%, 8% of the automotive industry;
– The reasons for choosing open source software instead of proprietary 45% of respondents indicated technical capabilities. In second place – security – the third lowest cost of ownership, the fourth – the availability of skills among staff. Only 12% mentioned as an important factor making the availability of support from the commercial vendor;
– By the size of the brought in income in leaders SaaS-systems on the basis of open cloudy platforms which in 2011 were on the 5th place were beaten out, and in present poll take the second place, conceding only to the income from a subscription to support services.
Main link to news: